The idea is to integrate the work done by Anca and Sorin during the 2011 XWiki (SAS) Seminar Hackaton: http://www.xwiki.com/xwiki/bin/view/Company/Hackathon2011#HMergedXWikiAnnotationswithComments
The work involves:
- Patch commentsinline.vm to display an annotation in the Comments tab
- Remove the display of the Annotations tab by default.
- Leave the annotationsinline.vm template and the AnnotationCode.Tab page since the Annotations tab could be useful to people having custom annotations. In this case, they will not benefit from the merging of Annotations with Comments and will use separate tabs and no reply-to feature
- Patch comments.js to synchronize the annotations display when deleting an annotation from the Comments tab
- Patch the Annotations application (AnnotationConfig, Macros, Script, Style) to set XWiki.XWikiComments as the default annotations class, update the annotation popup display and link the reply button on the annotation popup with the one in the comments tab
- Patch com.xpn.XWiki.getCommentsClass(XWikiContext context) to add the new fields to the XWiki.XWikiComments class
- Write a migrator that takes any existing annotations of class AnnotationCode.AnnotationClass (default ones), converts them to comments and then reindexes the object numbers of all the comments in the affected pages so that the merged comments are ordered by date.