google-compute-engine deployment of XWiki running on "Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS" using its tomcat8 (8.5.30) mysql (5.7.25) and openjdk-8-jre-headless (8u191-b12) packages:
Pull Request accepted
Although closed, the following issue
XWIKI-15756 still occurs in 11.1 and 10.11 debian packaging.
I noted mass-spewage of errors in /var/log/tomcat8/catalina.out – many repeated lines like:
"Unable to add the resource at [/WEB-INF/lib/xwiki-platform-container-servlet-11.1.xed] to the cache for web application [/xwiki] because there was insufficient free space available after evicting expired cache entries - consider increasing the maximum size of the cache"
Note that /usr/lib/xwiki/META-INF/context.xml has
<!-- We need to set the resource cache size since the default (10K) is too small for loading all XWiki resources at once --> <Resources cacheMaxSize="20480" />
however it's not clear that gets loaded with current config (it doesn't):
Looking at logs it loads /etc/tomcat8/Catalina/localhost/xwiki.xml
08-Mar-2019 00:20:20.169 INFO [localhost-startStop-1] org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDescriptor Deploying configuration descriptor [/etc/tomcat8/Catalina/localhost/xwiki.xml]
where in /etc/tomcat8/Catalina/localhost:
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root tomcat8 28 Feb 25 09:41 xwiki.xml -> /etc/xwiki/xwikitomcat8.xml
So I did following, also integrating suggestions from
and specifically from
- added my changes to /etc/tomcat8/context.xml (just like vmassol suggests above)
- and the errors still happen....
- tried again increasing cache size to 50K...
- and it still happens....
So I went back and did two things:
(1) set /etc/xwiki/xwiki.cfg per Admin.CheckXWikiConfig suggestion:
Now CheckXWikiConfig admin-tools app reports:
Cache configuration This lists the main cache settings. An XWiki instance is set by default to 100 for the main cache which is ok for a small instance. A large one with at least 1000 (large XE) to 3000 (very large XE or large XEM). Store Page Cache Capacity : 1000 Store Page Cache in Use : 379
(2) added to /etc/xwiki/xwiki-tomcat8.xml
- --> note, put everything in one "Resources" clause, wondering if different resource clauses are overriding previously defined ones instead of additive?
- (NB: this may be reason for OP having XWiki not startup at all as I had similar issues with adding two "Resources" entries within one context in early attempts).
- --> e.g. there is a setting to "20,480" in the package-installed /usr/lib/xwiki/META-INF/context.xml and a separate one ("<Resources allowLinking="true".../>") in xwiki-tomcat8.xml ?
- --> per tomcat8 docs, set cacheObjectMaxSize to cacheMaxSize/20 ... and tripled orig size of cacheMaxSize from default 10240 (10Mb)
to 30Mb (30720), raising cacheObjectMaxSize from default 512 (512 kilobytes) to 1536 (1.5 megabytes).
<Context path="/xwiki" docBase="/usr/lib/xwiki" privileged="true" crossContext="true"> <!-- NPM: fix /var/log/tomcat8/catalina.out errors (See http://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XWIKI-15756?focusedCommentId=100290&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-100290 ) "Unable to add the resource at ... to the cache for web application /xwiki because there was insufficient free space available after evicting expired cache entries - consider increasing the maximum size of the cache" /usr/lib/xwiki/META-INF/context.xml's cacheMaxSize="20480" does not appear to be applied in the case of this xwiki apt/debian setup. --> <!-- Make symlinks work in Tomcat --> <Resources allowLinking="true" cachingAllowed="true" cacheMaxSize="30720" cacheObjectMaxSize="1536" /> <!-- Disable JAR scanning since Xwiki does not need that --> <JarScanner scanClassPath="false"> <JarScanFilter defaultTldScan="false"/> </JarScanner> </Context>
- is related to
XWIKI-15756 Cache warning messages in catalina logs
- relates to
XWIKI-17166 Tomcat Cache Warnings are Back