If it's your first Google Code-In task it's highly recommended to start with Become a community member.
- The student will need to have a Jira account, if it's not the case you can signup here
- The student will also need a https://www.github.com account. You might also want to take a look at Git and GitHub interface documentations.
- Assign yourself to the Jira issue
commons-httpclient:commons-httpclient has been replaced by org.apache.httpcomponents:httpclient a long time ago but there is still code using the old one.
The idea is to track any use of commons-httpclient and replace it with the new one. A good way to find them is to search for any reference to commons-httpclient in the pom.xml files and removed them to see how it goes.
Note that changing the dependency is not enough, the API changed a lot so the code will need to be rewritten.
The modification should also include an enforcer rule to make sure no module use the old one in the future. You can find an example of how it's done for commons-lang3 and commons-configuration2 in https://github.com/xwiki/xwiki-commons/blob/master/pom.xml.
- There should not be any reference to commons-httpclient left anywhere in https://github.com/xwiki/xwiki-commons and https://github.com/xwiki/xwiki-platform (except for the one defined in https://github.com/xwiki/xwiki-commons/blob/master/pom.xml).
- The student must commit the changes and create a pull request on <indicate repository>
- The summary of the Pull Request must have a first line matching the JIRA issue following by a colon and then the title of this issue
- Add a comment in the jira issue mentioning your pull request and provide a link to it