How to reproduce:
- create a livedata where the column title for is much larger than the column content
- I used the livedata displayed for the Movies AWM from the default help module (using the parameter useLiveData=true)
- position the mouse in a cell of the table, on the content of the column
- the edit control will appear on hover in the middle of the cell, not under / next to the content
- since left & right borders of the table are not displayed, it's also actually quite hard to understand why the edit tool is so far from the content
- when trying to reach it with the mouse it disappears, because the shortest distance with the mouse is going out of the cell, in a diagonal.
See the video: simplescreenrecorder-2022-02-22_16.02.36.mp4
Expected result: the activation of the edit mode for the cell should be more natural than this. A couple of suggestions (but probably none good enough to be the final solution):
- the cell that is active at hover, to which the edit tool would apply, if clicked, could be highlighted, either with a background or with borders (the cell should 'react' to the hover);
- the edit tool could display to the right of the content of the cell rather than under the cell;
- the edit tool could display centered under the content of the cell rather than centered under the cell itself;
- a double click in the cell also feels 'natural' for the desktop usage, I would be curious why this was dropped (I think it was a matter of usability on mobile?).
- is duplicated by
XWIKI-19631 The 'Edit' popover button should be enhanced for short titled entries in a Live Data table